This advanced practicum online workshop is offered in real-time by Certified Gottman Trainer Dr. William Bumberry.
Register early, limited spots available!
There is no better way to learn how to apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy than the Level 3 Training.
Through videotaped cases of real couples, hands-on role plays, demonstrations of assessments and interventions, and nuanced discussion of technique, the Level 3 Training significantly expands your understanding of when and how to use Gottman Method strategies.
We encourage you to review the materials from your earlier workshops in preparation for the practicum.
We have found that preparation for the level 3 practicum experience will deepen your learning of Gottman method and strengthen your use of these techniques.
In a small-group setting, you will have the opportunity to practice and refine your use of Gottman Method therapy and receive personalized guidance in developing a roadmap for making sound clinical decisions.
The Level 3 Training content represents the true resistances and co-morbidities we face as therapists and how we can transform them into effective healing methods for the couple.
The workshop is structured to help create a safe and secure environment so participants can learn and practice while feeling free of criticism and negative judgment.
- Gottman Level 1: Live or Home Study or Online Course
- Gottman Level 2: Live or Home Study or Online Course
- Master’s degree, doctor degree, or current enrollment in a graduate program within a
mental health-related field
We encourage you to review the materials from your earlier workshops in preparation for the practicum. We have found that preparation for the level 3 practicum experience will deepen your learning of Gottman method and strengthen your use of these techniques.
What will I learn in Level 3 Training?
Building on the knowledge obtained from Level 1 Training and Level 2 Training, you will master how to effectively use the Oral History Interview during a couple’s assessment and understand its implications. You will learn how to clearly explain to a couple their strengths and challenges in terms of the Sound Relationship House, and how to help partners identify their own “Four Horsemen” and understand the antidotes.
You will learn how to select and utilize appropriate tools to help a couple deepen their Friendship System. You will learn how to clarify a couple’s conflicts in terms of solvable, perpetual, and grid-locked problems, and use the “Dreams Within Conflict” technique to help a couple feel hopeful and to achieve break-through with their perpetual conflict.
You will learn how to successfully intervene when one or both partners are flooding, help a couple reach solutions using the Compromise Ovals intervention, and sensitively intervene when co-morbidities are present.
Who is this training for?
This training is for psychologists, social workers, Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs), professional counselors, addiction counselors, and other mental health professionals. Completion of Level 1 Training and Level 2 Training is required, as well as a master’s degree, doctoral degree, or current enrollment in a graduate program within a mental health-related field is required. Therapy experience is highly recommended, but not required.
At the completion of this training, you will be able to:
- Choose an intervention that is appropriate for the clients at the moment.
- Recognize the Four Horseman when one member of a couple exhibits that behavior.
- Stop the couple’s dyadic interaction when one member exhibits one of the four horseman. Describe the Four Horseman to the couple.
- Explain the antidote to the relevant horseman clearly and accurately.
- Coach the person with an alternative way to express him- or herself using an appropriate antidote.
- Re-direct the couple to resume communication in a dyadic way. Continue to monitor for the four horsemen and intervene if they reemerge.
- Identify when one or both partners are physiologically flooded (and not just upset) and stop the interaction between the couple.
- Provide a brief explanation of flooding in clear, sensitive language.
- Intervene by guiding one or both partners through a relaxation technique before continuing.
- Explain the Dreams Within Conflict process and goals clearly.
- Instruct couple on the Dreams Within Conflict intervention.
- Assist one partner to ask the other partner questions about the dream or deeper meaning imbedded in their specific gridlocked issue.
- Provide The Dream Catcher Questions handout and coach one partner to ask the other questions from the handout to increase understanding of their partner’s underlying dreams or deeper meaning embedded in the specific gridlocked issue; help the couple hold to the questions to go deeper vs. getting into their own point of view.
- Introduce the concept of softened start-ups and explain why it helps (i.e., it is easier for their partner to hear and understand their point).
- Explain research showing that the first three minutes of a discussion predicts whether that discussion will go well and whether their overall relationship will go well.
- Explain importance of expressing needs in positive terms and instruct the partner to restate their point without criticism and then direct them to resume dyadic interaction.
- Stop couple’s interaction when one or both partners are not accepting influence.
- Explain the need for accepting influence (which may include reference to research). This includes finding a way to understand and honor some aspect of their partner’s position, with a focus on yielding and accepting influence rather than on persuading.
- Stop couple and instruct in the concept of offering and accepting repairs and why it is useful.
- Provide the Repair Checklist and explains it use.
- Ask appropriate Gottman Oral History questions and stay on track with sensitivity to couple’s issues and building rapport.
- Conduct Oral History interview with appropriate timing.
- Conduct Oral History interview with sensitivity to issues of co-morbidity.
THREE DAY LIVE EVENT
APRIL 22-24, 2021
9-5pm (MST) each day
Full Price: $1295
Early Bird Discount: $1095 when you register before 12/1/2020
* This includes the 200+ page digital Level 3 Clinical Training Manual, Certificate of Completion for Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 3 Training and Eligibility to continue on to the Certification Track
Cancellations must be made in writing and emailed to Jessica@suncrestcounseling.com and will be honored as follows:
We can provide refunds minus a $75 cancellation fee if an attendee cancels at least 10 day (April 12, 2021) in advance. There will be no refunds issued if registration is cancelled within 10 days of the webinar.
In the rare event that we need to cancel a webinar due to circumstances beyond our control, we will make every effort to notify attendees with as much advance notice as possible. Attendees will be given the opportunity to either transfer to another webinar or obtain a full refund.
We don’t provide refunds due to:
Attendee technology problems
It is the responsibility of the webinar attendee to test their computer setup prior to the start of the webinar. If a technical failure at your home or workplace prevents access to the live webinar, you are not eligible for a refund. If the technical problem is due to our error, we will consider issuing a refund.
Attendee email issues
Refunds will not be issued in cases where an attendee did not receive the webinar login instruction email due to issues like restricted emails, bounced emails, or any other system issues. It is the attendee’s responsibility to contact us if they don’t receive the required login information at least 24 hours prior to the start time of the webinar
Attendees who do not participate in the live webinar will not be entitled to a refund.
Meet the Certified Gottman Instructor: William Bumberry, Ph.D
William Bumberry, Ph.D., is a licensed clinical psychologist with more than 25 years experience working with couples. He has been with the Gottman Institute for more than a decade and is a Senior Certified Gottman Method Trainer and Consultant. In addition to being an active member of TGI’s Speaker Bureau, Dr. Bumberry serves as a consultant to clinicians seeking certification and is a Video Reviewer for the final step of the certification process. He is certified to present all three levels of the Gottman Method training sequence, as well as the Art & Science of Love workshop. Dr. Bumberry is a member of the American Psychological Association and is an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychology at St. Louis University. Since becoming a certified trainer for the Gottman Institute, Dr. Bumberry has presented Gottman professional trainings, as well as offering talks to the public throughout the U.S. and abroad. He is an experienced, clear, energetic speaker with the ability to present complicated material in a practical, easy to use manner. Dr. Bumberry is passionate about helping clinicians bring the Gottman Method into their life’s work … making the world a better place … one couple at a time. His presentations are highlighted by a blend of humor, creativity and accessibility.In addition to his expertise in the Gottman Method, Dr. Bumberry integrates Emotionally Focused Therapy into his work and teaching. Over the course of his career he has worked with many of the pioneers of the Family Therapy/Systems Therapy world. For many years he worked closely with Dr. Carl Whitaker. He is co-author of Dancing with the Family: A Symbolic-Experiential Approach, A Different Kind of Caring (videotape) and Reshaping Family Relationships: The Symbolic Therapy of Carl Whitaker.