Personality Disorders & Borderline Personality Disorder
— Interventions that Work–
The diagnosis and treatment of Personality Disorders in general and Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) in particular challenges many clinicians due to the complexity of the presented issues and the interpersonal nature of the symptoms. This workshop is for all who are interested in developing a concrete, easy to understand treatment approach for individuals with BPD in a short-term solution focused setting. Learn how to conceptualize personality disorders in general, the four core issues of BPD, how to talk to your clients about BPD and associated traits in a concrete and easy to understand way. Further emphasis will be placed on assessment, the interposal dynamics frequently encountered in treating individuals suffering from BPD. One segment (1 hour of the workshop) will focus on specific ethical and professional issues relative to the treatment of individuals with BPD. Another focus will be on the assessment of suicidality and para-suicidality of individuals with BPD, as well as specific interventions on how to address these. The interventions presented can easily be incorporated into your therapeutic style and repertoire.
Objectives for this workshop are:
- Describe the concept of personality disorders in an easy to understand way
- Analyze the diagnosis and assessment of BPD and associated traits
- Explain the 4 core issues of BPD
- Plan for and talk to your client about BPD
- List the etiology of BPD
- Prepare for specific ethical and professional issues in treating individuals with BPD
- List concrete and easy to understand interventions for treating BPD and associative traits
- Plan to avoid common mistakes in treating BPD clients
Core concepts of this presentation are from the presenter’s publication:
Korbanka, J, & Huntington, R. (2004). Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder and Addiction: Workbook. Center City, MN: Hazelden.
Korbanka, J, & Huntington, R. (2004). Understanding Borderline Personality Disorder and Addiction: Pamphlet. Center City, MN: Hazelden