Gottman Method Couples Therapy – Level 2 [Live 3-day in-person]
Advance in the next step toward certification and designation as a Certified Gottman Therapist. In this Level 2 Training, Master Gottman Trainer, Dr. William Bumberry will expand your assessment strategies and intervention techniques. At the completion of Level 2 Training, you should have the clinical familiarity, knowledge, and resources to integrate Gottman Method Couples Therapy assessments and interventions into your clinical work.
Dr. Bumberry dives deeper into the assessment and interventions and provide guidance for clinical observations. This live in-person format also includes an account at The Gottman Institute online, where you will have lifetime access to the entire Gottman Level 2 module, PDF manual, assessment sheets, and other videos with engaging lecture conducted by Drs. John and Julie Gottman. During the available online videos, the Gottmans host a special guest lecturer, Dr. Robert Navarra, who presents relevant data and clinical findings incorporating Gottman Methods in treating couples in addiction recovery.
Notice: Gottman Level 1 is a prerequisite for this training. A foundation is key to learning these advanced techniques. Completion of Gottman Level 1 training is requisite before taking this course. Completion of Level 1 training could have been through a Suncrest Counseling sponsored event, completed with a different trainer or sponsor, or through the Gottman Institute self study program online. The Gottman Institute verifies completion requisite of Gottman Level 1
Level 2 Learning Objectives
After this training, you will be able to:
- Explain the basics of observation, including why it’s important to recognize Emotions on the Human Face, Tension in the Voice, the Importance of Words, and the use of the SPAFF coding system
- Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory.
- Describe how to recognize Bids and Turning Towards.
- Explain the components of the first three Assessment sessions.
- Explain and demonstrate how to conduct an Oral History Interview.
- Explain and demonstrate how to conduct a Feedback Session, including formulating a Treatment Plan and presenting it to the couple using the Sound Relationship House model.
- Describe the use of the core assessments with couples, including the Locke-Wallace, Weiss-Cerretto, Gottman Sounds Relationship House Questionnaires, Gottman 19 Areas Checklist, EAQ, SCL-90, Detour Scales, CAGE, and b-MAST.
- Explain and demonstrate the rules for Gentle Start-Up.
- Develop interventions couples can use as antidotes to the “Four Horsemen.”
- Prepare couples to physiologically soothe when flooded.
- Select and implement interventions to help deal with conflict.
- Apply different modes of changing the “Attack/Defend System” in a couple’s interaction.
- Assist couples in establishing dialogue about their gridlocked conflicts.
- Instruct couples on how to work towards a compromise on perpetual problems using the Two Oval method.
- Describe the five steps of processing a fight or a regrettable incident using the Aftermath of A Fight intervention.
- Use and describe the Stress-Reducing Conversation to minimize relapse.
- Select and implement interventions to help couples deepen their “Friendship System” by working on Fondness and Admiration.
- Select and implement interventions to help couples Build Shared Meaning with Rituals of Connection Identify and formulate a plan for different co-morbidities common in couples using Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
- Assessment and Intervention.
- Describe how to apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy to a couple who has experienced an affair.
- Describe when it is appropriate and inappropriate to use Gottman Method Couples Therapy with a couple dealing with substance abuse.
- Describe how to apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy to a couple experiencing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Describe the differences between situational and characterological domestic violence and when it is appropriate and inappropriate to use Gottman Method Couples Therapy with a couple dealing with domestic violence.
INCLUDED IN THIS TRAINING:
- The Gottman Institute highly recommended printed manual, Level 2 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy, to supplement your learning experience and reference going forward. This 500+Page Clinical Training Manual is included at no extra charge ($175 value)
- Live Mentorship and Coaching from Master Gottman Trainer of over 20 years, Dr. William Bumberry.
- CE Certificate for 20 CE hours for LIVE attendance from approved associations — no additional charge.
- Life-time access to Gottman Institute Level 2 online materials.
- 734-page PDF manual with the content, assessments, interventions, and references discussed in training videos
- 262-page PDF of lecture slides
- Certificate of Completion from The Gottman Institute
- Recording of this training. Following the event we will upload the recording of this training for access up to 60 days.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a request for assistance.
We are happy to accommodate your ADA needs. Please submit a request to email@example.com