Licensed Mental Health Counselors 6.5 CE Hours
Licensed Clinical Social Workers 6.5 CE Hours
Psychologists 6.5 Hours
Licensed Marriage Family Therapist 7 Hours
Salt Lake Community College Sandy Campus
9750 S 300 W, Sandy, UT 84070
Clifton Mitchell Ph.D., is an international clinical trainer and keynote speaker who has a love for teaching and over 23 years of training experience. He delivers practical information in a uniquely entertaining, fast-paced style that is filled with humor and examples from his experience in mental health. For over 15 years, he has studied and presented seminars on methods for dealing with resistance in therapy. In his book, Effective Techniques for Dealing with Highly Resistant Clients, he presents cutting-edge approaches for managing psychological resistance. He has trained thousands of mental health professionals in the management of difficult, perplexing legal and ethical issues and his latest training is in an exciting, dynamic game show format. He has also been the keynote speaker at conventions and taught hundreds of mental health organizations, businesses, leadership groups, and civic organizations effective techniques for improving communications and for creating change through the precise use of language. He is a contributing author in therapy books and published in numerous professional journals including the Psychotherapy Networker, Psychotherapy in Australia, Journal of Personality Assessment, Perceptual and Motor Skills, Psychology and Education, Journal of Psychological Type, The Professional School Counselor, Vistas, and The Advocate. His research includes investigations of therapeutic resistance, legal and ethical issues, subliminal message tapes, stress and coping, PMS, and personality types. His ideas and writings have also been published in Men’s Health Today and Barron’s Financial Weekly. Dr. Mitchell is currently a professor Emeritus at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee, where he received the Teacher of the Year award in 2002.
Comments from Therapists About this Workshop
“Excellent! I wish I had not rated other workshops as 4’s, 5’s so I would have an exclusive rating for this one!”
Freddie Bailey, LADAC Counselor
“One of the best presentations I have attended in 20 years…depth of knowledge of subject and presentation was exceptional!”
Ed Harper, LCSW
“I was extremely pleased with the specific examples… Fabulous instruction! Thank goodness for someone willing to tell the ‘how to’!”
“This workshop re-energized me! What a treat to learn…in such a fun and confidence-building manner.”
Deborah Sheffey, Senior Psychological Examiner
“Very invigorating… Great presenter–excellent info, presented very effectively.”
KG, Case Manager
The successful management of resistance is the pivotal point of effective therapy. It is also a critical component in alleviating therapists’ stress. Although most therapists have been trained extensively in theoretical approaches, few have had extensive training in dealing with resistance. This is a fast paced, highly practical seminar designed to teach innovative approaches and ideas to prevent, avoid, and resolve resistance. These techniques are applicable across a wide array of clients and problems, and can be integrated with all theoretical approaches. Emphasis will be on “how to” aspects of resistance management, though the theory behind each approach is provided.
Specifically, this seminar will first present definitions and a model for resistance that empowers therapists in managing the problem. This is followed by a discussion of common mistakes therapists make that promote resistance and a discussion of the general principles for dealing with resistance. More specific approaches and techniques are then presented with particular attention given to utilizing the inherent power of language to circumvent resistance. Common client impasses such as “Yes, but…” and “I don’t know” responses will be addressed. Recently updated, this training now explains priming and teaches attendees how to incorporate priming into their therapeutic dialogue for improved client outcomes. Upon completion of the training, participants will have a broad array of techniques to add to their repertoire and to aid in reducing the stress that accompanies their most frustrating clients.
At the conclusion of this workshop, you will have the knowledge required to:
1. Differentiate between conventional and modern definitions of “resistance.” Y0u will be able to conceptualize resistance in a manner that empowers you to avoid, circumvent, and utilize it for client benefit.
2. Describe the most common errors therapists make that foster and promote client resistance. Explain the pitfalls of over-questioning and how to employ effective alternative approaches.
3. Identify basic, overriding principles for dealing with resistance in therapeutic environments. Explain the importance of tending to each principle in therapeutic relationships in order to tactfully manage resistance.
4. Explain the inherent power of language with regards to resistance. Employ numerous specific linguistic techniques that circumvent resistance, including methods of priming that trigger preparatory thoughts promoting client action and creating therapeutic movement.
5. Describe methods for dealing with common difficulties such as “Yes, but…” and “I don’t know” responses.
Program Agenda for One-day Training
Understanding Perceived Resistance
● Developing a Personal Philosophy for Managing Resistance
● Caring for the Therapist: Resistance Management = Stress Management
● Conventional definitions
● Alternative perspectives: Empowering Therapists
Critical Principles for Maximizing the Potential for Movement
● Do the Unexpected
● Slowing Down to go Faster
● It’s All in the Details
● Empathy and the Real Reason People Change
The Perils of Assuming a Knowing Attitude
● Your Client is Not Making Progress Toward What?
● The Great Deception: Just What is a Therapist?
To Ask or Not to Ask, That is the Question
● The Problems with Questions
● When Not to Ask
● Quelling the Urge to Ask
● Utilizing the Curious Command for Gentle Movement
● Using the Question Wisely
Managing “I Don’t Know” Responses
● Just What Does “I Don’t Know” Mean?
● Responding to “I Don’t Know”
How to Avoid “I Don’t Know” Responses
● The Classic Pretend Technique: The Good and the Bad
● Advanced Responses
Words: The Fundamental Tool of Therapists
● Two Fundamental Rules of Language Every therapist Should Know
● The Dominant Thought: The Primary Principle That Governs All Thinking
● Priming in Our Everyday Lives
● Understanding the Conscious and Subconscious Minds
● Recent Priming Research
● Therapeutic Implications
Incorporating Priming Into the Therapeutic Dialogue
● What Really Impacts Client Change?
● Enhanced Empathic Statements: Recognition of Deficits
● How to Talk Positive to a Negative Person Without Them Knowing It
Utilizing Embedded Suggestions and Commands
● Is Your Goal Properly Priming the Client?
● Pacing and Leading with an Embedded Prime
● Underlying Meaning and Implications of Commonly Spoken Words
● The Direct Application of Priming as Self-Change Technique
● Why Priming Works
You may cancel your registration up to 10 days before the workshop (Tuesday, September 25, 2018) and receive a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. If cancellation occurs in less than 10 days prior to the event, there is no refund. Also, if the event date is changed for some reason, the presenter is ill, the presenter will be rescheduled for another date and you may cancel your registration up to 10 days before the new date, for a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. If the event is cancelled and we will not hold the event, only the cost of the tuition will be refunded, no hotel, travel, or any other costs.
For consideration of other attendees, adults only, no children.
Room Temperature varies; Please dress in layers.
If you require ADA Accommodations, please contact our office at least 7 days in advance of the event so that we can ensure accommodations are made.
Register on or before September 21, 2018, Sale Price $195 ($100 off $295, please apply PROMO CODE “sale2” during checkout or apply any other PROMO CODE during checkout) $ 295.00Add to cart
$ 295.00Add to cart